Wednesday, March 22, 2017

STRANDED in El Segundo

Beth Whiteside's samples of stranded knitting

This past weekend, fiber arts designer, Beth Whiteside, taught a series of workshops for our El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Guild. I attended the Sunday morning session called "Getting Started Stranding." 
Beth, teaching our class

Here's a description of the class from Beth:  Learn to work holding 2 colors at the same time! Commonly called Fair Isle knitting, this technique for stranding colors across the back lets you create brightly colored and patterned fabrics. While working on a small bag/hat project you’ll practice getting an even tension (not too tight, not too loose), learn ways to prevent yarns from twisting, and try different holding techniques. The class includes discussion of traditional use of color and pattern, chart types and how to read them, knitting methods and color dominance, and tips to for more pleasurable color knitting. Come get a taste of this classic knitting technique!  Prerequisites: Must know how to knit in the round.
I've tried this technique a few times with less than stellar results. I learned some great tips and tricks in Beth's class on Sunday!
I really like adding designs and new colors in my knitting. True, I have to pay way more attention to what I'm doing during stranding. This is not idle, TV knitting. Concentration is involved. It is highly rewarding when you manage to knit a design correctly!
Ellen's Stranded Knitting Sampler
I ended up with a nice little sampler. I may make this into a case for my Kindle! Thanks for a great class, Beth!
Time to get out my knitting books and try some more hypnotizing designs!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice tutorial. lovely wool work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery